How to create invoices for additional Freight expenses
When you receive an invoice for additional Freight expenses on a unit, start by checking an existing unit invoice to identify the normal destination GL for freight fees.
Scenario 1: Freight points to the unit inventory account.
Capitalized Freight invoices are created from the unit Cost Adjustment Tab:
see - How to create a Unit Cost Adjustment
- AP Invoice: Create a cost adjustment and select TYPE: Sublet / Freight. Enter the amount that you will owe for the unit, and select the correct Vendor in the Vendor Field (you can backdate the transaction by changing the date, and then click save). The invoice number will be updated on the line item for your reference.
Scenario 2: Freight points to another GL.
Create an AP invoice:
- On the DealerVu home page, select the Accounting link, then Accounts Payable;
- On the Payable Transactions screen, click on the AP Vendor Invoice icon;
- This will bring up the Select Vendor screen. Enter the vendor name and click Refresh;
- Select the vendor by double-clicking on it. This will add the vendor to the invoice;
- On the Vendor Invoice, enter an invoice number in the Invoice number field;
- Click on the Insert Misc. Item icon; select an appropriate Misc Item;
- In the Description field of the Misc. Item line, enter what the entry is for (for example, Additional Freight Charges);
- Select the G/L Account found on a typical unit invoice for the freight amount;
- Enter the amount of the invoice before applied taxes in the amount field on the Misc. line;
- Double-check the total;
- Select an Invoice Date, a Due Date and a Posted On date;
- Use the drop down list in the status field and change the invoice status to Posted;
- Click the Save icon.
See also: Training on Vendor Invoices
If the freight fees are not typically charged against the units, simply create a new vendor invoice and add a miscellaneous item that points to the GL that freight expenses are normally posted.