Doing a return and applying the balance of the return as credit on the customer’s account
Part & Service AR Account Return Credits
Doing a return and applying the balance of the return as credit on the customer’s account is a simple process the first thing you need is to create a return part sales invoices, as follows:
- From the DealerVu Start window, click on Part Sales and Management in the Department menu
- Click on the Part Sale link in the Options Menu. This will open the Part Sales Invoice window.
There are 2 ways to create a refund invoice:
- Click on the New icon to open a Part Sales invoice window.
- Click on the select customer icon , this will open the Select Customer window.
- Enter the customer’s last name.
- Click refresh. This will list all customers that match the name you typed in the filter field.
- Double click on the correct customer name and their name will be placed into the invoice. If the customer is not in the list - click on the new button in the lower left to open the Customer Detail window and enter all of the customer’s pertinent data.
- Once you have selected the customer, and you must select a customer to give account credit, add the parts that are being returned to the Part Sales Invoice. To do this, perform the following steps:
- Click on the Insert Part icon enter the part number that is being returned.
- Click on Refresh.
- Find and double click on the part that is being returned.
- If multiple parts are being returned then click on the Insert Part icon
- Enter the part number of the second part that is being returned.
- Click on Refresh.
- Select the part from the list by double-clicking on that part. Repeat this until all the parts being returned are listed on the Part Sales Invoice.
- To indicate that the part is being returned, check the box in the refund column.
Once this is done the total amount due will be shown as a negative number (credit).
- To apply this amount as a credit on the customer’s account - click on the Payment tab.
- On the Payment window click on the Insert Payment icon , this will create a line in the payment list pane of the window.
- The amount will be the total amount of credit on the invoice the billing type will be credit and the payment method will be cash.
- Click on cash in the payment method column.
- Click on the drop-down arrow.
- Select Account Credit as the payment method.
- Save the Part Sales Invoice by clicking on the Save icon
The amount in the “total” column will be credited to the customer’s account and this amount can then be used to pay an outstanding Invoice or on future transactions.
What can go wrong & what can you do about it?
The main issue that you may face is selecting Account Credit as a payment method. If account credit is not in the list of payment methods it is because you have not selected a customer to which to assign the account credit.
The only other problem that may come up is that there is no credit on the invoice to assign to the customer’s account. This would be caused by failing to select the parts as return items. If this is the case, click on the Invoice tab to return to the list of parts that are being returned and check the Refund checkbox for all items being returned.